Wednesday, September 1, 2010

It only took 3.5 years and 650 miles

for Joanna and I to finally meet!

Since I am from New Jersey and still have quite a bit of extended family in the area, I knew it would only be a matter of time and planning before I would get to meet Joanna. Most of our trips up North are for a family event or doctor's appointment so free time is usually hard to find.

Joanna and I have been chatting online almost daily since shortly before our boys turned one. We were both working moms who pumped for our boys and we commiserated daily about the struggles and joys that went along with that. We got to know each other well as a part of the thread killers thread and neither of us was willing to let it die. When I wake in the morning, I know that most days there is going to be a post from Joanna to greet me. And she knows that when she checks in daily, I will have often posted after she has gone to bed the previous night. If one of us hasn't posted on a weekday, it usually means that someone is sick!

We decided to meet at a mall for dinner that was halfway between her house and where we were staying with my relatives. When I saw her, it was like meeting a long lost friend. And she was exactly what I expected too!

Our Michaels got along so nicely, which is always hit or miss for 4 year olds. After meeting each other, they instantly started playing with each other and it continued through dinner. When we were getting ready to leave the restaurant, Joanna's Michael went outside before my Michael did. He was visibly upset that Michael had left without him. I told him that he would have a chance to say goodbye. It was too cute!

Katie and Michael were a bit crazy from being cooped up in the car all day, which made for an interesting dinner. It seemed like there was so much to say and so little time to say it all. That's one of the things that I find the hardest about these meet-ups. I have developed a great relationship with Joanna and had so much that I wanted to talk about and be able to get an immediate response.

Unfortunately, I forgot my camera in the car so I wasn't able to get any pictures. But Joanna did get a few with her phone, including an awesome one of our boys together. You can see it here.

I was so glad to finally meet Joanna and her family. It was nice to be able to put a voice to the words that I read on a daily basis. I know that people are skeptical about making friends on the internet but I have met so many great people because of it and Joanna is one of them. I can't wait until we get together again.

3 comments:

MyWorld said...

I wondered if you were coming back up to Jersey. We should have a day at the Shore some time. That'd be a fun meet up place!

Kara said...

I'm so jealous! How many BBC moms does that make that you have met in real life? I think it's awesome!

Oh, and you were right about the cake. :)

Mel said...

So fun! I enjoyed seeing the pics on Joanna's blog. The Michaels were very cute together!