Sunday, April 11, 2010

A girl after my own heart

Within the first few days of Katie's birth, I knew that she was going to be a good eater. By the time we left from the hospital, she was already latching on and nursing well. We got home and she continued with her good eating. She cluster fed from about 7-10pm most nights for the first 6 weeks or so.

One night when Katie was about 4 months old, I was eating a steak dinner with her on my lap. She grabbed at the plate and tried to get some food. At 5 months old, she had her first rice cereal. And it continued from there with bananas, avocados, beans, and peaches. I made most of her baby food and this was a way to introduce her to even more foods.

As she got a little older and got a few teeth, we started giving her table food. She ate everything that we offered her. On my birthday, we had ice cream cake and she ate some of that. She had also eaten Japanese steakhouse veggies and rice. We couldn't believe it because it seemed like she was never full. The eating continued and she was still nursing several times a day until she turned 1.

On her birthday, we put a mini cake in front of her. Katie wasn't quite sure what to think at first but she took one lick and consumed over half of the cake before deciding she was done.

Now that she is 1, there are very few foods that remain off limits to her. I still haven't given her peanut butter or fish, even though I doubt she is going to have any allergies. This weekend alone, she ate a piece of pizza with pepperoni and mushrooms for the first time and a whole hot dog including the roll (both were broken up into bite size pieces).

We are constantly amazed and entertained at what she will eat. I love to eat but I am a picky eater. I have been hoping that our kids will not be like me and eat a variety of foods. Katie is definitely following that path right now!

4 comments:

Joanna said...

It must be so much fun to watch her experience all these different foods. I hope she doesn't eat you out of house and home in the process.

Steph said...

Being a good eater is (one of) my dream for the new baby since Cooper has been picky from day 1 and hasn't changed yet.

Heidi O said...

I love love love watching the kids eat and enjoy. Though this morning changing Harry's dirty diaper I wasn't as keen given it is no longer just from breast feeding. oy!

Anna said...

yay for good eaters! Holden is picky...I am hoping Daniel wont be