Thursday, May 7, 2009

The simplest things

I find that it's the simplest things in life that can make a person happy. Like a smile from a child, especially when it's my child. Yesterday I experienced what I consider to also be one of the sweetest things. Both Michael and Katie did something that I have always loved to see. They smiled in their sleep. To me, this is such a pure expression of happiness.

Michael and I laid down in his bed for his nap. After a little while of trying to get him to go to sleep, he finally crashed. It's almost always a battle unless he is just exhausted. I was getting ready to go downstairs and I looked down at his face. He was settled in under the covers and all of a sudden, a smile came across his face. It reminded me of the days when he was Katie's age!

Katie also smiled in her sleep. This is a far more common occurrence for her. She has just started to smile when she is awake and I look forward to seeing this more and more. For now, I will be more than happy to watch her smile in her sleep or after she has just finished nursing. The smile only comes for a split second but it's just precious.

These are the types of things that I wish I could capture with a picture or a video but they are so spontaneous that I will just have to take a picture in my memory!

2 comments:

Joanna said...

It's a twofer! Do you think we ever smile in our sleep?

Amy said...

Karen, that is so sweet. So many things you wish you could capture.