Thursday, May 19, 2011

Kindergarten Orientation

Michael had his Kindergarten orientation on Tuesday afternoon at the local elementary school. I don't think he really understood about going to a new school next year until we were there. We went into the center of the school where we got an information packet. We were taken to another part of the school where they had a snack table set up. The kids loved this!

We went into the auditorium where we heard from the principal, as well as some other administrators from the school. The tour of the kindergarten classroom came after this. This was the best part of the orientation according to Michael. To quote his words, "these people are boring", while the speeches were going on.

The classroom was awesome. I had envisioned rows of desk and a chalkboard. Instead, there were tables all around the room organized into centers and a Smartboard. Michael LOVED the Smartboard and had so much fun being shown how to use it by current kindergarteners. He also checked out the other centers.

He told me, as we were walking out of the school afterwards, that he thought the school was so cool. He also told me that he can't wait to go there next year. He did tell me that he does not want to ride the bus because it makes too much noise! That was so funny to me because a couple of years ago riding the bus was all he could talk about. I am so glad that he liked school and is looking forward to it.

1 comment:

JenFen said...

I am glad it went well. Jake was the same way. All through preschool he would talk about riding the bus and then when it came down to it, he would rather me take him, which is fine by me because we have to pay for the bus here.

I can't say this enough but I can't believe our May babies will be starting kindy in the fall.