Monday, April 15, 2013

First Harvest of the Season

Todd planted our vegetable and fruit garden back in mid-March.  There were several close calls with freezing temperatures after planting that required the garden to be covered with a tarp.  While looking at it this weekend, we noticed that the spinach plants were already producing quite a few leaves.  I came inside and looked up when to harvest spinach.  I watched a video on how to do it and what leaves to cut on the plant.  I found out that more leaves will grow after you cut back the plant a little bit.  I plan to freeze some of the spinach for later use and will eat the rest in a salad for lunch tomorrow.  So excited that we are getting something from the garden already!

Here is what I cut tonight:


2 comments:

Carrie said...

That is really good and seems so early to me... but, you are in a different zone. So jealous! We have an aerial garden downstairs, I got it for Brian for his birthday. It grows herbs fairly well! We almost don't know what to do with them all!

Beth said...

That looks so good! I'm very impressed. We bought a tomato plant and a pepper plant (finally). I'm hoping hoping hoping I can keep them alive and get them to produce tomatoes and peppers. LOL. Can't wait to see more of your harvest!