Sunday, March 10, 2013

Katie's Birthday Party


Yesterday we had Katie's 4th birthday party.  We had it this weekend even though her actual birthday isn't until next Saturday because we are going camping with the Cub Scouts next weekend.

Katie has been anxiously awaiting her birthday party for a few months now.  She was really excited about getting to celebrate with family and a few close friends.  Every week she would give me a verbal list of who she wanted to invite.  After she told me the list, then she would ask who was coming.  It ended up being a low-key event, which I now prefer for the birthday parties.

The theme that Katie wanted was Hello Kitty and she had asked for a pinata too.  I decided to make a 3d Hello Kitty cake on top of a half sheet cake.  This was far more ambitious than anything I had done in the past but I felt like it was time to broader my horizons.  Katie loved the finished product.



We set up the bounce house outside.  The weather was perfect for a party.  It was sunny and warm but not hot.  March's weather has really been unpredictable this year so we were thankful for a beautiful day.  The kids played in the bounce house, sandbox and out in the yard while everyone ate lunch


It was time for the pinata next.  All of the kids lined up to get a chance to hit it.  After several rounds of hitting Hello Kitty, she started to break apart.  Surprisingly the kids did not run to get the candy when it fell to the ground.  I guess that's the difference between mostly girls hitting the pinata and mostly boys hitting it.  When it was done, all of the kids calmly collected candy into bags.


We did the cake after that.  Katie was so ready to eat her cake after she blew out the candles.  She had quite a few different kinds of candles on the cake.  She requested a piece of Hello Kitty's body.  After cake, she opened her presents.  Her excitement at opening her gifts was so cute.  She really enjoyed seeing what she had gotten and couldn't wait to open everything. 


After the party, she wanted to know how long until her next birthday party!  I would say it was a success.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I really think Autumn and Katie would get along good! The party looks perfect, even a Hello Kitty pinata! Perfect! And, you know I love that cake... I always look forward to seeing the cakes you make for their parties!!